Opening a studio in your home is something that is very possible as long as you have a spare room, or rooms that can be converted into studios. It could even be in the garage or basement, places that won’t affect the other aspects of the home. A home studio is good for people that are just beginning since it is the cheapest way of starting a studio. Renting studio office could be costly and at your disadvantage if you are not yet making any profits. In this article, we are going to look at some of the essential components for a home recording studio.
A good computer
The computer is the hub of the home recording studio, and you should go for the one that works best for you and can install the needed software. Make sure that you go for one that has as much RAM as possible.
Any DAW (digital audio workstation)
The DAW is what will be used for recording, editing, and mixing the music, and one should go for one that is compatible with their computer. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Pro Tools
- Studio One
A solid audio interface
Audio interfaces enable one to turn analogue and acoustic sounds into digital signals, and it is recommended to go for 2 channel interfaces. Below are some of the popular ones on the market:
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
- Universal Audio Apollo Twin
- Mackie Onyx Blackjack
- M-Audio M-Track Plus II
- PreSonus AudioBox
- Apogee ONE
A good quality mic is recommended and they usually go for less than $100.
Studio headphones or monitors
These will enable one to hear what they are recording and mixing.
The Best Electronic Drum Set
At times it is also important to include instruments in your studio equipment, especially if you play them yourself, or if you’ll be inviting guest artists every now and then. That is the reason why we are now going to review some of the best electronic drum sets that you can find on the market today. This way, when you set out to find a drum set, you’ll know exactly what to go for.
Alesis Nitro Kit
For those that are looking to get the feeling of playing like pros, the Alesis Nitro is the perfect drum set for you. It comes with three dynamic 8” tom pads, an 8” dual-zone snare drum for great feel and natural response, and a kick drum pad with pedal. It also has an unlimited range of playing brought about by the three 10” cymbals, and a crash with choke. It also comes with 4-post aluminum mounting rack, holding everything firmly in place. It also features a powerful Nitro electronic drum module with hundreds of percussion sounds, 40 different kits and 60 built-in play-along tracks.
- Dynamic, comfortable pads for great feel and natural response
- 8″ rubber drum pads (dual-zone snare, three single-zone toms)
- Kick pad tower with bass drum pedal included
- 10″ cymbals: ride cymbal, hi-hat, crash with choke
- 4-post aluminum rack-super solid for stability and flexibility
This is a digital tabletop drum kit that plays just like an actual drum set despite the fact that it is much smaller. People can drum to prerecorded drum kits and songs like soft rock, hard rock, electronic, pop, jazz, or opt to create their own songs to play to. This drum set comes powered by an AC adapter as well as batteries, for situations when you’re not near power. You can put the drum set into your computer.
- LED control display
- Headphone and USB outputs
- Kick, Hi-Hat and DC power inputs
- USB port doubles as MIDI In /Out
- Seven drum pads with touch sensitivity
- Two different voice metronome system
- 215 percussion voices and 128 GM voices
- 25 preset drum kits and five user drum kits
- Dimensions: 19.65″ (L) x 14.5″ (W) x 6.2″ (D)
- Powered by DC 12V adapter or six “C” size batteries
- DC 12V adaptor
- Pair of drumsticks
- Two foot pedals (kick and hi-hat) (laptop not included)
RockJam Electronic Roll Up MIDI Drum Kit
This electronic drum set features 9 drums and cymbal pads with many different sounds, two pedals that emulate a real drum kit, power supply that saves on batteries, and drum sticks. It comes with a USB MIDI connection, built-in speakers, and a record function. It is portable as it can easily be rolled up.
- They provide realistic sounds that are similar to non-electric drum kits
- They come with an assortment of sounds: Crash cymbal, high tom, snare, open/close hi-hat, low floor tom, low-mid to, ride cymbal
- USB MIDI connection to upload beads to a PC
- Easily rolled for portability
- Two Pedals
- Power Supply
- Built in speakers
Alesis DM10 X Kit
This is professional electronic drum set features 10-inch and 12-inch drum pads, 12, 14, and 16-inch cymbals, DM10 module, and a chrome-plated XRack. It also comes with an advanced sequencer, and more than 1,000 sounds featuring multi-sample technology, for the ultimate professional experience.
- Heavy-duty, chrome-plated steel rack with hinged, Alesis quick-release clamps.
- Pad clamps feature T-bolts for easy no-tools adjustments.
- More than 1,000 uncompressed, sample-based sounds featuring Dynamic Articulation.
- Works with iPad via Apple USB Adaptor (sold separately).
- Comes with Alesis logo plate.
- Includes fully adjustable snare stand for optimal positioning and crosstalk reduction.
- Integrated cymbal arms, convertible to boom or straight.
- New-look DM10 high-definition drum module with updated appearance.
- This product is class compliant; it does not require drivers.
Yamaha DTX400K Customizable Electronic Drum Set
This drum set comes with customizable kits that match the style of the users. People can practice with interactive training functions including a “Voice Guidance” system, where they can play along with practice songs or develop their own. It features upgrades that include 3-zone snare, extra crash and real pedal. The Yamaha DTX400K customizable electronic drum set also features 10 legendary drum kits and training functions, newly developed drum pads, large cymbals, and new silent kick unit. There is also a groove check, rhythm gate and measure break.
- It comes with more than 290 different sounds
- It has a compact design that houses ten professional electronic drums
- It comes with a 7.5-inch touch pad
- It features a silent bass kick unit
- 10-inch crash cymbal pad
- 10 different settings such as oak custom, marching and percussion, vintage, maple customer, jazz, session and more
- It comes with a drum throne, a single pair of drum sticks and topnotch JVC headphones
If you have spare room in your home, and you would like to set up a recording studio, don’t let anything stand in your way. Start off with equipment that you can afford and upgrade as you gain experience. When choosing some of the instruments to include in your studio, go for the best ones that include the electronic drum sets that we have just reviewed.